Thursday, February 15, 2007

Internet Privacy week #4

Privacy- (Internet) the ability to control and limit the amount of personal information that is published or obtained via the Internet & that ability to limit the access to that information at your discretion.



Not only are there major problems with overall computer security, but the Internet provides never ending and constantly changing technology to allow hackers, spy ware, etc. to view everything that you do. I believe that the biggest issue of Internet security is in fact the endless options and changing environment that the Internet provides. On one hand it is a world of information and human interaction, but it also can open the flood gates to personal information no matter how up to date your software is. In the tech. world it is nearly impossible to always be up to date, as soon as you have it there is something better available & the software that you have already has a glitch that someone out there in cyberspace has bypassed.

Personally my privacy online is important to me & to be honest, I am not even comfortable posting this fabulous blog. It isn't that I don't want to share my ideas; I don't even like the fact that people can gather little tid-bits of information about my life (name, town, school I go to etc.) I also have problems with doing any sort of banking or bill pay online. I feel as though it is the most convenient, but really anyone could be watching my every move or every password I type. To me, that is terrifying.

I, being the "shut in" that I am, do not have a personal story where my information was stolen, but the biggest breach that did effect a friend was when TJmax's information from a credit card data base was stolen just after Christmas. My friend, who was obviously concerned, did what everyone would to and changed her credit numbers and account information, however who knows what other personal information was also leaked. What if it was her social security number? Well maybe it was. She won't be able to tell if there are more issues with the stolen information probably until it is too late. Unfortunately the only thing that you can do is change your information and hope for the best.

1 comment:

Derek said...

Good first post -- I'm glad to see you are up and running with the blog now. Your content is fine, but there are two areas where I would like to see improvement: first, please cite your references using in-text links or APA style citations, and format a reference list at the end of your post using APA style. Second, please aim for at least 600 words (your post contained only about 380) -- take the time to discuss your topic in more depth. I look forward to reading more from you this semester.